Dr. Mark Downing
Adjunct Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics
During the past 16 years, Dr. Downing has been involved in all aspects of renewable energy, and energy efficiency research and development with the U.S. Department of Energy, and Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Specifically, he assists the DOE Office of the Biomass Program manage the relationship between the Sun Grant Initiative, and other federal agencies and Land Grant institutions. He has played roles organizing and continuing efforts to develop Regional Feedstock Partnerships with the 5 Sun Grant Institutions. This work is crucial in moving renewable energy options forward in agriculture and forestry. He has contributed to DOE national efforts such as resource modeling and development of assessment activities for federal initiatives such as 30 by 30, and the 20 in 10. He also contributes to federal research cooperation with other DOE National Laboratories. Finally, he plays a cross-cutting role in automotive research with the DOE Office of Vehicle Technologies, managing government industry relations with the Society of Automotive Engineers, car companies, and the Department of Energy.
- B.S. 1978, Agriculture, University of Vermont
- M.S. 1987, Agricultural Economics, University of Tennessee
- Ph.D. 1992, Agricultural Economics, Texas A&M University
- Agricultural Economist, Bioenergy Program, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, (1992 – present)
Adjunct Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of Tennessee (1994 to present)
- Harvesting our Meadows for Biofuel?
Response Letter to the Editor. Science 23, June 2006. Vol 312, no. 5781, pp. 1745-1746.
- Application for Dual Mode Inverter Control to Commercially Available Radial-Gap Permanent Magnet Motors
Lawler, J.S., J.W. McKeever, Mark Downing, et al.
CRADA Final Report – Volume I: ORNL 04-0691, Oak Ridge National Laboratory. 2005
- Development of New Generation Cooperatives in Agriculture for Renewable Energy Demonstration and Development Projects
Downing, Mark, Timothy Volk, and Dean Schmidt.
Journal of Biomass and Bioenergy: Elsevier. 28:425-434. 2005.
- The Economics of Bioenergy Production and Use: A Report on the Economic Realities of Bioenergy Crop Production and Conversion, and Prospects for the Future
Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, Vol 53, No. 2, pp 0157-0183, 1998
- The Potential Supply and Cost of Biomass from Energy Crops in the Tennessee Valley Authority Region
Downing, Mark and Robin Graham
Biomass and Bioenergy.Vol 11, No. 4., pp. 283-303, 1996.
- Testing the Reliability of the Benefit Function Transfer Approach
Downing, Mark and Teofilo Ozuna, Jr.
Journal of Environmental and Economic Management. Vol 30, No. 3, May. pp. 316-322, 1996.